Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Just say yes

It’s amazing how one tiny word can make or break the spirit of a child. Three little letters. One small syllable. But oh what a difference it can make. Whether it’s snack time or play time or tucking into bed time, finding a way to say yes to my boys seems to make everything right in their world.

I’ve learned my consent is actually my friend-an ally in times of traumatic, toddler terror. Like those trips to the grocery store when escaping from the buggy-belt is the only item on my boys’ list. How easily a simple “yes” could quell those agonizing, shopping fiascos.

Brisco is my storybook hero when it comes to celebrating the affirmative. It takes so little to make him happy, and he is always ready to tell the world and celebrate at even the smallest of victories. Typically, he is most excited when his snack time requests are met with a yes. From granola bars to graham crackers, his eyes start popping and his feet get to hopping and he’ll yell at the top of his lungs, “Cooooo-paaa! Mom said YES!!!”

We can forget containing his excitement if his desire is for sweets. He’ll dance in the aisle and sing in the streets for a dip of ice cream or a glass of strawberry milk. And if a piece of candy is what he’s eying, there’s nothing in life that could be more exhilarating than a nod of concession from mom.

Even in the midst of bowl full of Crispies, he’s asking about his next helping. And if mom says yes to a second yummy portion, that sweet, milky smile will slip across his face leaving a mom to revel in the joy she’s created with one simple word.

Sometimes no is a necessity; it simply can’t be avoided. But if the risk is less serious than injury or death, I’m willing to give my approval. After all, the grass will grow back and the windows can be washed and I really didn’t need that third pair of old tennis shoes. But the warmth in my heart when two proud, smiling boys bring me a dead Dandelion, planted in an old Reebok full of mud is a memory I’ll always treasure.

So when my gut starts to turn and my head starts to spin and I feel that old tug of reason, I just think of the fun a couple of brothers can have when the boundaries are lifted and the limits are stretched. I picture big, brown eyes and ear-to-ear smiles that no mother could dare disregard. And I hear the excitement in their voices as they shout in jubilation, “She said YES! She said YES! She said YES!”

And that’s All in a day’s work!

No comments: