Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Giving thanks

As the day approaches that has been designated for doing what we tell our kids they should be doing every day, I thought it might be interesting to see what exactly a two and a four year old are giving thanks for at this particular moment in their lives.

Are they thankful for their trucks and their trains? Do they especially love their race cars and their movies and their books? Just what is it that a little kid appreciates? And just how much does he even understand about the concept? I decided that I would ask.

I sat them down separately and explained that there was a special day this week called Thanksgiving, when we take a time out to say an extra special “Thank you” for all the things God has given us. Brisco seemed unimpressed with the idea; Cooper just looked at me and said, “Oh.” Their responses made me a little nervous about the answers I was about to receive.

In a world of technology, toys and general abundance, parents never know if the important lessons we try to instill in our kids are being fully absorbed. We want them to appreciate their possessions, but not rely on their existence, to enjoy their material blessings, without feeling entitled to receive them. So just how good of a job are we doing? My conversations with my sons were as follows:

“So, Cooper, tell Mommy what you are thankful for.”
The boy replied, “Well, I’m just thankful for the snow and the ice.” And with a little more thought, he added “…and Bessie and Rudy (the dogs).”

And it seemed one thought just led to another and he really got on a roll. “And for Grandma and Aunt Robyn and Granddaddy. And for Caitlyn and Kelln and Jordan and Hunter. And for Aunt Keri and the babies.

And for Martha and Grandmother and Brisco and Daddy and you. And…oh, and for Tyler and Haley.” And just when I thought he was finished with his list, he added, “Oh, and I’m just thankful for the water. And the leaves to jump into. And that’s all!” he added with a smile.

With Brisco, I had to try a little harder, like most things that involve my second son. “Can you tell Mommy what or who are you thankful for, Brisco?” Right away, he excitedly said, “Food!” Beyond that, he responded with a dozen, “I don’t know’s”. So I prompted him with a question or two.

“Who takes care of you that you are thankful for?” I asked.
“Coopa,” he said with a smile.
I pried. “Is there anyone else?”
“Daddy!” he said with a twinkle in his eye. I thought to myself that this could go on for days, but then he added, “Oh, and Mommy does too.” Whew. I’m glad he noticed.

No doubt if I’d asked, they’d both have given me a plethora of toys and games and things that they consider their favorites. And to eliminate the TV and the trucks and the trains would crush their little hearts at the time. But knowing they’re most thankful for the people in their lives is a great place to start, and is enough to make this parent give thanks every day of the year.

And that’s All in a day’s work!

No comments: