Monday, November 10, 2008

Church chat

It seems church chat is really on the minds of our boys as of late.
Last week, Cooper came looking for a pen and some paper because he was in the den “doing some preaching just like John”.

And Brisco has become his generation’s version of Lawrence Welk, as he has taken to leading the congregation in song. Of course every song is either “Jesus Loves Me” or “Itsy Bitsy Spider” and it is sung from the pew, at the top of his lungs, and with is book upside down. But that doesn’t seem to matter to him at all.

Cooper was taking a nap just today, and out of the blue, he rushed down the stairs to tell me that he had sung “Jesus Loves Me” all by himself in the bed. These are good things by which to occupy their minds. But sometimes, church chat can get confused with regular old chitchat, and from a child’s mind to his mouth comes pure parental entertainment.

Brisco’s latest piece of Biblical humor is the result of listening to prayers. For some reason, the boy finds it amusing when someone prays for the “body”. Whether it is restoring health to someone’s “body” or being thankful for the food which “nourishes our body”, he can’t seem to contain his amusement when he hears that word and will raise his head, unfold his hands and practically yell through his laughter, “He said ‘BODY’!”

I came across some similar pieces of church chat from children much like my own.

Dear God,
I went to this wedding and they kissed right in church. Is that OK?

Dear God,
I think the stapler is one of your greatest inventions.

Dear God,
In Bible times did they really talk that fancy?

Dear God,
I think about you sometimes, even when I’m not praying.

Dear God,
I am American. What are you?

Dear God,
If you will watch in church on Sunday, I will show you my new shoes.

Dear God,
If we come back as something, please don’t let me be Jennifer Horton because I hate her.

Dear God,
I would like to live 900 years like the guy in the Bible.

Dear God,
If you give me a genie lamp like Aladdin, I will give you anything you want except my money or my chess set.

Dear God,
We read that Thomas Edison made light. But in Sunday school they said you did it. So I bet he stoled your idea.

Dear God,
If you let the dinosaur not be extinct, we would not have a country. You did the right thing.

Dear God,
Please send Dennis Clark to a different camp this year.

Dear God,
Maybe Cain and Abel would not kill each other so much if they had their own rooms. It works with my brother.

And that’s All in a day’s work!

No comments: