Wednesday, July 25, 2007

"Ten things I love about you: Ode to a heathen"

I’d been having one of those weeks when it seemed nothing I tried to teach my boys would stick. When I tried to correct a behavior, it became worse. If I introduced them to a new skill or a fun game, it became a battle of wills. I had decided it was time to find them both a new place to live, complete with a more patient and competent mom, when one of those milestone moments occurred.

I was changing yet another dirty diaper, complaining to the little monster about how disgusting his bowel movements can be, when he looked up at me with his nose curled, smiled, and repeated almost as clearly as he had heard it: “discaahthing”.

I thought surely he had just gargled his own spit or was choking on the smell of his nasty diaper, so I said it again to see what would happen: “discaahthing”. That was it. The little brother had finally decided to start talking.

Amazingly enough, at that moment, and in that position, I was able to find a way to let go of the frazzled week we’d just endured. One smile and a jumbled, almost-a-word from that little heathen gave me a much needed reminder as to what this job is really all about.

It was then that I decided to take a closer look at all the wonderful things my kids do every day that make being their mother such a blessing. In the heat of throwing toys, refusing to share, and begging for food, it’s easy to forget all the little things that make my kids special to me. What I discovered is that when I take the time to appreciate the small stuff, all the rest doesn’t seem so impossible. And, when life again becomes too “disgusting” to bear…I now keep a running list to remind me of the many beauties of my boys.

“Ten things I love about you: Ode to a heathen”

I love the first few minutes of every morning when you want to snuggle in bed together and hug and smile and love each other like good brothers should.

I love to watch you read to yourself or play with your trucks when you are all alone and you think no one is watching.

I love that when you give “big hugs” you squeeze real tight around my neck with both hands and let out a little grunt.

I love that your face is puffy and your eyes are swollen when you wake up from a good night’s rest-just like mine.

I love that you haven’t forgotten about your friend, Shelby, even though she’s been gone almost four months.

I love the way your face lights up at the smallest little treat like a graham cracker or a bag of gold fish.

I love that even when you are fighting mad, you can be convinced to smile if I tickle you in just the right spot.

I love that because you are so ticklish, any spot is the right spot.

I love that when you are eating, you open your mouth wide enough for a fork lift to drive through.

I love that when you are resting your head on my shoulder, you pat my back, just as gently as I am patting yours.

And that’s All in a day’s work!

No comments: