Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Pillow talk

We used to have the oldest boy trained like a dog. Bath, glass of milk, five minutes of his favorite video and off to bed. He would lie down in his crib and go right to sleep, just like the baby does now. Somewhere along the way, however, he must have decided that he had made things a little too easy on mom and dad because he changed the rules for bedtime, and he really liked his newest game.

From sleeping with us to making the transition into his own room and his own bed, we really have made progress. He follows our bedtime routine without balking, but when it is time for him to crawl into the bed, he is determined to take someone with him. Of course when dad is off at a game, I am his lucky bed partner. But when dad is home, I feel it is only fair that he take part in this, one of the true joys of parenthood. My suggestion is usually met with a shaky, “Mommy, do you wanna go to bed with me?” and a forced tear or two, but once they are out of eyesight, Cooper is delighted to have his daddy lying next to him, as long as there is a book or a story of some sort.

Most nights I’m thrilled to have a few minutes of quiet time. Most nights I’m grouchy if dad is home and I’m still the one to put him to bed. But sometimes, like tonight, putting my kid to bed gives me a tiny glimpse inside his heart and his mind that I might not otherwise get to see. Sometimes our pillow talk is what makes being a mom worth it all.

10:10 p.m. “Dear God, Thank you for Daddy and Mommy and Brisco and Berra and Cooper and Calyssa, and cookies. And then we say A-men.”

10:15 p.m. “Mommy, Where’s Jesus?” “He is in heaven with God.” “We need to go see him.” “We will someday. If we read our Bibles and do the things God wants us to do, we will go to heaven and see Jesus.” “Can Daddy come too?” “Yes, honey. Daddy will be there too.”

10:18 p.m. “Mommy, I need to hold your hair.”

10:22 p.m. “Mommy, will you rub my back?”

10:24 p.m. “Mommy, will you pat my tummy?”

10:26 p.m. “Mommy, I’m going to pat your tummy too.”

10:30 p.m. “Mommy, can you hold me?”

10:35 p.m. “Maybe one time Daddy can be a little boy like me and I can be a big strong man like Daddy and I can put him to bed.” (Knowing the irony of this statement and the possibility of truth that lies in it, a tear quietly trickled down my cheek.) “Cooper, I think that’s a great idea.”

10:45 p.m. “I love you, Mommy.” “I love you too, Cooper.”

Yes, bedtime at our house can definitely be an adventure, but on the nights when we have a little pillow talk, it is certainly worth the ride.

And that’s All in a day’s work!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tara, This one brought a tear to my eyes too!!! Like Cooper, Randy had to have his back rubbed to go to bed at night!!! And I bet this was one of those nights when you were almost to tired to be a part of the bedtime routine?? That seems to be the time when the most memorable things happen and you have to wonder "What if I had missed it?"
Love you and I love this Blog!!!
Donna