Thursday, March 24, 2011

Conversations with kids after a trip to the museum

Me: What was your favorite part of the museum?
Brisco: The marble game. It was like a pinball machine. The marble was supposed to make music, but I made up a new game. It was fun!
Cooper: I liked the tree house. And the airplanes. And that you could shoot balls out of that one thing (i.e. a catapult). And I liked that me and Brisco could get in the airplanes and pretend to fly them. Oh, and I liked making race cars with dad. AND I liked blowing up stuff! Remember when that guy blew up that big bottle and Brisco started crying?
Me: Did you like that part, B?
Brisco: NO! I hated it! It was too loud! I hate it!
Me: Why don’t you like loud noises?
Brisco: (yelling) I don’t know! Too loud! (Oh, the irony.)

Me: What about the dome? Did you like the movie in the dome?
Cooper: I didn’t like that, ‘cause there wasn’t a movie. Just snow and stuff.
Me: You mean, there wasn’t a story to it?
Cooper: Yeah.
Me: Was there anything about it you liked?
Cooper: Snowboarding and hiking. Not surfing though.
Me: Would you climb a mountain?
Cooper: Yeah. Well, not actually. But I would snow board.
Me: Would you surf with a sail?
Cooper: Yeah, cause they have that stuff that sticks to your feet, and it won’t come off.

Me: What about you, Brisco? Did you like the dome?
Brisco: No
Me: Why?
Brisco: Cause all I liked about it was the snowboarding. That’s all I liked about it.
Me: Would you snowboard?
Brisco: No.
Me: Would you surf?
Brisco: No
Me: Would you ski?
Brisco: What is skiing?
Me: Going down the snowy mountain with two sticks on your feet.
Brisco: NO!

Cooper: I wish we had one of those tree houses at our house.
Me: Well, talk to Dad. Maybe he can build you one.
Brisco: Nah, he can’t.
Me: Why do you say that?
Brisco: Cause he didn’t even finish making the gazebo into a fort. Besides, he just cut down all the trees.

The day after we went to the Omniplex, I took the boys to the Cowboy Hall of Fame for a few hours. Note to self: The Cowboy Hall of Fame should probably have been on the day one agenda. It was not quite as exciting after a day at the Omniplex. However, we were able to provide each other with a few laughs.

“Conversations with my kids about the Cowboy Hall of Fame”
Me: Ok, now when we go in here, we can’t act like morons. It’s big, it’s fancy, and the floors might be slippery. Absolutely No Sliding!
Cooper: Why are the floors slippery?
Me: They are nice and polished. If I remember right, they may be made of marble.
Brisco: (After a moment of thoughtful consideration…) Why would the floors be made of marbles?

Sheriff: Ok, boys. Get in that cell and get comfortable, now. You’ve got a long wait. The circuit judge won’t be in town till next Thursday.
Brisco: (Looking at me with that confused expression on his face) Mom? What’s a circus judge?

Me: What did you like about the Cowboy museum?
Cooper: I liked the kid part where we got to dress up. I liked the cowboy boots.
Brisco: I liked wearing the fringy vest!

Me: What else did you like, Brisco?
Brisco: I liked the old town.
Me: What did you like about it?
Brisco: I liked the jail!
Me: Did you like being locked inside?
Brisco: No!
Me: I need to get one of those for the house. That way when someone is misbehaving, I can just lock them up!
Brisco: Yeah! And I could put my sleeping bag in there and have a camp out!

And that’s All in a day’s work!

No comments: