Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Vocabulary lessons

Me (while making decorations for Halloween): What we need is some black construction paper.
Brisco: What’s instruction paper?
Me: Not instruction, construction.
Brisco: Huh?
Me: INstruction is when you read or someone tells you how to do something. CONstruction is when you build something.
Brisco: Well, I’ll take the instruction paper and you can tell me what to do.

Me (the morning after getting an unwanted visitor in my bed at 4 a.m.): Who dares to disrupt my slumber?
Brisco: Big smile
Me: Who dares to disrupt my slumber?!
Brisco: Laughs hysterically
Me: Hey! I’m talking to you!
Brisco: (mouth clamped around a soggy thumb): I don’t know what that means!
Me: Slumber means sleeping. Who dares to disrupt my sleeping?!
Brisco: (more laughter, and then…): I don’t know!
Me: You know what disrupt means?
Brisco: No.
Me: It means bother. Who dares to bother my sleeping?!
Brisco: Oh! Why didn’t you just say so. That was me!

Brisco: I’m starving thirsty. And I know that’s a word cause it has a vowel in it.
Me: They are both words, but they don’t go together. When you need food, you are starving. When you are thirsty, you can say, “parched”. Parched is a good word.
Brisco: Yep. Well, I’m still starving thirsty. And I’m parched.

Brisco (At the campfire): I wanna roast some marshmallows.
Me: We don’t have any.
Brisco: Well, I wanna roast something. I’ll just roast these paper towels then.
Me: That looks like a giant marshmallow.
Brisco: Yep. What else can I roast?
Me: Well, you aren’t actually “roasting” paper towels. You are burning them. We roast things that can be eaten. We burn trash.
Brisco: Well, what else can I roast?

Brisco (while sitting on the potty): Mom, When we get to the letter “T”, listen…“T…T…Turd.”
Me (with a disapproving face): Yes, Brisco, that’s letter T. Think of something else.
Brisco: T…T…Twert
Me: What is that?
Brisco: I don’t know.
Me: Where’d you hear it?
Brisco: Coop.
Me (just being curious): What’s a turd?
Brisco: It’s just poop.

And that’s All in a day’s work!

No comments: