Friday, January 15, 2010

I saw a legend

Today I saw a legend, his story already told. And the words on his Hall of Fame plaque read:
“Lynn Nolan Ryan, Jr. A fierce competitor and one of baseball’s most intimidating figures on the pitching mound for four decades. His overpowering fastball and unparalleled longevity produced 324 victories and a host of major league records. Lifetime benchmarks include 5,714 strikeouts, seven no-hitters, and 12 one-hitters in 27 seasons pitched; led league in strikeouts 11 times and fanned 300 batters in a season on six occasions, including a record 383 in 1973. Strikeout victims totaled 1,176 different players. A Texas legend whose widespread popularity extended far beyond his native state.”

Today I saw a legend, a man still writing his tale. I heard him deliver a speech, and his words were moving and motivational and thought provoking. He spoke of the impact of a coach on his players. Of living life like we deserve to win.

He spoke of the imaginary crystal ball. The one in which no coach, player or patron can look into for answers as to just who will be the one to get that third out. To strike out that last hitter. To punch in that winning run. He spoke of being prepared to be that man, on the field and off. He’s no Hall of Famer, no world championships to his credit. But today he was a legend. A simple man from Louisiana.

Today I saw a legend, a giant in their eyes. I watched him throwing grounders past living room coffee tables and tossing flies behind the couch. I’ve heard him reading books and telling stories and kissing his boys good night. I’ve watched him give piggy back rides when his body ached and play football when he was too tired to breathe. I’ve heard him sigh from exhaustion after a 14 hour day that wasn’t over until he’d played a couple more innings in the back yard. Every day he is a legend in the eyes of his boys.

Today I saw a legend, two stories yet to be told. Four innocent, brown eyes. Full of questions; full of dreams. Who knows what lies in store for these--what they shall accomplish, who they shall become. What will be written on their plaque? What will they see in their crystal ball?

Today I saw a legend, and I realized--the world is full of them, if we are looking.

And that’s All in a day’s work!

No comments: