Sunday, December 13, 2009

Preparing for Christmas

In the past, preparing for Christmas at our house involved hanging a single strand of lights outside, burning a candle or two inside, and a hectic, last minute dash of shopping and wrapping that would take us late into the early morning-a mere 48 hours before Santa’s big eve. Don’t ask me why; that’s just the way we did it. But this year, our boys seem to have realized that Christmas is coming, and they’ve shown a much greater interest in just how this whole thing works. The result? Someone has had to prepare.

It started when we came home after Thanksgiving to an elaborate display of a winter wonderland right on our very block. Rooftops and trees blinking and glowing with lights helped get our kids exceptionally festive-before the turkey had even been digested. So began our journey toward Christmas.

We dug out decorations that had been boxed and stored for the better part of the last four years, and after knocking off the cobwebs and repeatedly asking, “Why did I keep this?” we had finally salvaged enough holiday décor to make an attempt at a winter wonderland of our own.

I knew if we were to have outdoor lights, I’d have to be in charge, and that was ok by me. So I loaded my handy, industrial-size staple gun and was ready to get to work; however, I didn’t realize until after I’d untangled, tested, stretched out, hooked up and unloaded six strands of lights, two extension cords and a step stool into the front yard that our house is covered in plastic.

I had a moment of reckless whimsy when I thought, “Who cares? Just staple them behind the guttering. He’ll never know.” But that daydream was quickly followed by visions of broken trim pieces dancing in my head. It seemed that this year, outdoor hanging lights were going to have to be something our children admired from afar.

Luckily, I remembered some sound advice I’d once been given: “Put on a festive tablecloth and see how a little can go a long way in making the house seem festive to your kids.” I doubted a red and green table covering was going to satisfy my boys after their anticipation of a re-creation of the famous Griswold residence, but once again, I was pleasantly surprised at the effect it seemed to have. A red candle here and a little tinsel there and we were looking like a page out of Ladies Home Journal.

Of course Christmas isn’t all about the decorating. Apparently, our boys will be expecting presents.
“Mom, I want one of those green things that are about this big, and they are fun and they make noise?” He delivered this statement in the form of a question, which lead me to believe he had little clue about the toy for which he was asking.
Enquiring minds wanted to know: “Uh, ok. What does it do?”
“It makes noise.”
“Is it a race car?”
“Nope.”
“Is it a monster truck?”
“Nope.”
Something green that does nothing but make noise? Yeah, I’ll put that at the top of my shopping list.
“Maybe you could just ask Santa,” I suggested. And so the moment at which my kids started contemplating Santa Claus was born.

“Mama, where does Santa live?”
“He lives at the North Pole.”
“What does he do?”
“He makes toys for kids.”
“All by himself?”
“Oh no. He has lots of helpers.”

I could see from the look of contemplation on their faces that this might be enough to keep them thinking for a few days. And so it was. However, not long after, I gained yet another insight into just how this Christmas idea was taking shape in the minds of my children.

I knew Cooper would probably be working on a letter to Santa at school, but he hadn’t said anything about it. So I asked, “Cooper, what do you want for Christmas?” He thought for a moment, and then he said, “I want six Reece’s.” He paused, and then, “But I’ll take three Reece’s and one Skittle.”

I thought to myself, “Hmm, this limiting of their chocolate thing is really gonna pay off!” Just to make sure, I said, “Is that really all you want?” He paused again for a moment and then began, “Well, really you don’t have to get me anything cause Santa will just bring it.” I liked the way he was thinking…save Momma the trouble (and the money) and let good ole Santa do all the work. Of course there’s just one slight problem with this plan…

I continued to pry. “Cooper, did you ask Santa to bring you what you want for Christmas?”
“Yes,” he replied.
I knew we had not yet seen Santa this year, so I was curious as to just how he had asked.
“When did you do that?” I questioned.
“When I was sitting in the chair watching TV.”

Whoa. Hold up, there Rudolph. We seem to have a problem. “Honey, Santa’s not like God. He can’t hear us when we talk to him. Did you write a letter at school?”
“Yes,” he said.
“Well, Mrs. Johnson probably put those in the mailbox and sent them straight to Santa’s house. I bet you’re covered.”

As for Brisco, it seems a letter attached to Cooper’s, that simply read, “Ditto” would have been the easiest way out. He finally decided on six Skittles, a hat, presents-with nothing in particular in them-and a bag of dirt. I bet ole Santa can handle that.

This year, with 17 days till impact, we are more prepared than ever. Decorations are up, tree is lit, and presents are wrapped. We are as on the ball as we’ve ever been this early in the season and it makes a mother proud to have her to-do list dwindle so quickly. And as we enjoy these last few weeks before the big day, it is clear that from decorations to presents to thoughts of Santa, a little Christmas preparation has gone a long way to making two little boys wonderfully excited about Christmas…even without a single light on display.

And that’s All in a day’s work!

No comments: