Thursday, April 16, 2009

Dazed and confused

As a slight detour from the usual kiddy chaos that keeps our household running in circles, this past week, we added a little Daddy drama.

In his regularly scheduled Sunday night batting practice at the barn, an incident with a flying bat had my husband bleeding from the head and me, saying prayers that it would turn out to be “just a flesh wound”, if there is such a thing where a bat-to-the-head is concerned.

As it turned out, it was very mild and other than a little trim to the hairline and some really sticky EMT tape, he was relatively pain free and back to his busy-every-minute self by morning.

However, as thankful and relieved as I was at the outcome, it couldn’t stop me from taking a couple of pictures and sharing them with just a few of our closest friends and family online. And boy am I glad I did.

There’s nothing like a good laugh to make you appreciate the weightiness of a near-life altering accident, and there’s no one more equipped to help you in this task than the ones who love you most.

So as in the tradition of the old game show “The 10,000 Pyramid”, these are things you might hear your loved ones say after your husband gets hit in the head with a baseball bat:

“Hope Randy's brain didn't sustain too much damage.”

“Holy crap! Did he smart off again?”

“Bar room brawls are scary! Ahahaaaaa. Still, brag that you beat him up for not doing the dishes or something. Work it girlfriend.”

“Poor Randy, he is too sweet. But you would think he would know to duck, move, watch the bats, don’t stand too close. They make face masks and helmets too.”

“Oh My Gosh! Girl, my head hurts now!”

“I think I’ll use this face as the poster child for domestic cleaning abuse.”

“I’m so glad he is okay. He could have been seriously injured, blinded or broke his pretty face beyond being pretty anymore. Poor guy already had one strike against his brain being born a man. Hahahaha (that’s so between you and me.) I would have passed out if I saw my hubby like that.”

“He looks pitiful!”

“I bet he will never steal eggs from the Easter Bunny again! Rabies shot maybe?”

“By the way, I think that is going to leave a dent!”

“Wow what a headache! He may need to put some peppermint oil on that.”

“He did it in the barn? Last night? Tell him to turn on the lights next time. BP in the dark is obviously dangerous.”

“He looks like Homer on the Simpsons.”

“I’m glad I’m not Jolene’s son-in-law; the next one might not make it!”

"He still looks dazed and confused!"

"Oh my! Did one of the boys throw the bat at his head?...or was it you?"

"And they say baseball is a non-contact sport."

Surprisingly enough, our boys’ reactions were relatively subdued. Brisco kinda thought Daddy’s head band was funny. And other than the blood-and the thought of missing a game of living room football-Cooper too, was unmoved.

And that’s All in a day’s work!

No comments: